Sunday, January 01, 2012

Top 9 Author-Related Moments of 2011

I waited until it was officially 2012 to write this post, just in case something amazing happened in the final moments of 2011.

Instead, I got the flu.

So here are some good moments from last year...


Doing a photoshoot for Entertainment Weekly.



Opening a box to find copies of my second book.


Taking my niece and nephew backstage at a Selena Gomez concert.


With some of my SCBWI friends, surviving one of the most terrifying nights of my life. What happened? Hmm... Maybe one day you'll read all about it!


Having lunch with some of the Penguin people most responsible for bringing The Future of Us into the world. And during lunch, getting a call that Warner Bros. made an offer on the movie rights.


My family having dinner with Carolyn Mackler's family, and seeing our three boys sitting on the couch together. Truly, the future of us.


With Carolyn Mackler, walking onto the convention floor at ALA for our first signing of The Future of Us, and seeing a massive line waiting for us. (We both giggled at the same time.)


Getting to drink a rootbeer in the spot where Charles Schulz (creator of Peanuts...duh!) spent much of his childhood. His dad owned a barbershop downstairs and the family lived upstairs. Sparky (his nickname...duh!) was a huge creative influence on me.


Traveling to speak in cities that allow me to reconnect with friends.


5 comments:

Tamora Pierce said...

Couldn't happen to a more deserving writer! I saw all the EW stuff as it happened and cheered every time, if you were wondering what that tinny din in your ears was!

Have a 2012 even better than 2011, and I hope the flu zips on by!

Tammy Pierce
who sat with you at dinner at SCBWI once

Jay Asher said...

If I'd done a Top 9 of the Decade, eating next to Tamora (can I really call her "Tammy"???) Pierce would've probably made the list.

Sabrina Steyling said...

I bought that copy of Entertainment Weekly because of your article and I will never get rid of it!

What a great year you had! May 2012 be an even greater year for you!

jodi kendall said...

Awesome round-up and hilarious that our terrifying night made your list! Ay y y, still gives me nightmares. What an exciting year for you, and looking forward to seeing all the blessings come your way in 2012. See you in a few weeks! Happy New Year!

Mary Weber said...

Awesome, awesome year!!! I'm glad it rocked! (But sorry you got the flu.) Loved the pics of Isaiah and seeing all the epic adventures you guys got to go on :0).

-m